Thursday, April 18, 2013

Betty's Slow Cooker Lasagna.

Confession time.

I've decided I need to take some food photography lessons. Or maybe stop using my iPhone to attempt what I pray will be food blogger quality pictures. And also maybe put the food on a fancy plate, not a paper Dixie plate. Oh, and salad. Everything looks better next to a salad.


Whatever.

Regardless of my amateur food photos, Betty Crocker's Slow Cooker Lasagna was darn good. I made it  yesterday for my woman's card club (yes, I'm 28 and in a card club). I threw it all together in the morning and let it do its thing during the day.

For Betty Crocker's Slow Cooker Lasagna original instructions, click here. Or continue reading for a somewhat abbreviated version . . .

All you need is: 
• 1 pound bulk Italian sausage

• 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)

• 3 cans (15 ounces each) Italian-style tomato sauce

• 2 teaspoons dried basil leaves

• 1/2 teaspoon salt

• 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (8 ounces)

• 1 container (15 ounces) part-skim ricotta cheese

• 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese

• 15 uncooked lasagna noodles

Steps: 
1. Cook sausage and onion in a skillet sausage is no longer pink. Drain it. Stir in tomato sauce, basil and salt.

2. Combine 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese (1/2 the bag), the ricotta and the parmesan cheeses. (Refrigerate remaining mozzarella cheese while lasagna cooks.)

3. Put a fourth of the sausage mixture into a 6-quart slow cooker; top with 5 noodles, broken into pieces to fit. Spread with half of the cheese mixture and a fourth of the sausage mixture. Top with 5 noodles, remaining cheese mixture and a fourth of the sausage mixture. Top with remaining 5 noodles and remaining sausage mixture.

4. Cover and cook on Low heat setting 4 to 6 hours or until noodles are tender.

5. Sprinkle top of lasagna with remaining 1 cup mozzarella cheese. Cover and let stand about 10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Cut into pieces.

-------------------------------------

The overall response was great! I, personally, thought it sort of tasted like Spaghetti O's or any of the Chef Boyardee canned pastas. I'm not a fan of those. So, next time I will use Prego or some sort of spaghetti sauce, rather than the canned tomato sauce that it calls for.  But otherwise, it was EASY to make and delicious to eat!

Happy lasagna making [and eating]!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading. I read every comment, so thank you for taking the time to leave one.